Friday, October 10, 2008

Sickness and Sewing


Last week I had the plague - OK, maybe not the real plague, but when I miss 4 days of work, it's SICK! When I wasn't asleep or blowing my nose, I managed to sew. When you are trapped at home with near zero energy, sewing is even tough. Thirty minute sessions were about all I could manage.

I had started a Christmas quilt during the summer after my visit to the International Quilt Festival in Long Beach, CA. It's a simple string quilt pattern using up as much of my stash as possible. One nice thing about string quilts is that they fit nicely into 30 minute sessions. You can start and stop anytime without getting messed up. I got all the blocks done! The string strips are all Christmas fabrics. The half square triangles are all white on white scrap fabrics.

Once the blocks were done, I laid them out on the bed and a few more short sessions later, they were all assembled into a top. Borders were added in two more sessions. I'ts queen sized. Fabulous and ready for quilting. More than I've done in the last 2 months. Guess I proved that you can get a lot done in 30 minute chunks of time! No more excuses for saying I don't have time to sew.

No comments: