Monday, July 12, 2010

Quilting in Central Oregon

Last week was the Festival of Quilts in Sisters, OR and that means everyone in Central Oregon is quilting! My friend Jean invited me to take classes with her at BJ's Quilt Shop in Bend, so we signed up for two mystery quilts with Linda Ballard. I also signed up for a day class with Linda called Crinkle Stars.

We left on Monday, the 5th in the morning and hit 7 quilt shops on the way down to La Pine, where Jean and her husband own a cabin on Pauline Lake. We got there about 6 pm, built a fire (it was chilly) and settled in. The next day, we hit two more shops, puttered around Bend shopping and then went to our first class. It was a two color quilt - Casablanca. Very nice! She got totally done with the small top minus the borders. I got nearly all the blocks done (I had more than she did) during the class. We both finished up the next morning, sewing at the cabin.

Maggie, Jean's brown lab, managed to lose her collar Wednesday morning, so we spent time looking for it that afternoon We also threw her toy into the lake so she could play. Then we left for Bend to take our second class. It was more complicated, but it is a very nice star quilt using special rulers. I managed to finish 4 blocks and Jean finished two. The pattern name is Latitudes. I chose really wild colors - yellow, dark brown, vibrating orange and a yellow-orange leaf print. Turned out spectacular!

Thursday, Jean brought me into Bend for the day class - it was a technique class and I learned a couple new things. Lots of little pieces, but it turned out nicely. I have 3 blocks left to make to finish, otherwise everything else is done. I used a pastel theme for this one - nothing my style that would make a perfect baby quilt.

Friday we went down to Suttle Lake and visited friends who were at the Quilt Camp at the UMC camp - Jean had never been there so it was fun to show her the camp. Then we "did" Sisters and headed home about 2 pm. Hit two more shops on the way home.It felt so good to hit the house.

Of course the worst part was that I came home bugged about rearranging the sewing room - which I did all Sunday afternoon. Much more room to work, found some stuff I didn't know I had and threw out stuff i don't need. All good, but I didn't get much done. Just the borders on the two color quilt. Now I need to go into overdrive to finish a few things.

No comments: